Pages

02 December 2008

Hiatus

Why hasn't Gwyn been posting here for such a long time? You may ask....Well, it all started in China....with a certain stalker......

So, the story goes that some of my friends back in my city in China were trying to counsel a Chinese friend who has some mental disorder. One of my friends in particular put tremendous effort into counseling this young man as a Christian and as a friend. The other friend, a woman, is about the same age as me, and also tried to do her part to help this young Chinese man. Eventually, though, it became clear that he was asking too much, and my friend (the one who is my age) began to firmly tell him that he couldn't come over to her apartment to use her computer, and basically tried to redefine her own personal space. He became irrationally upset and threatening. Although he never became physically violent towards either of these two women, he did send many threatening e-mails and at one point cut the power to at least one of their apartments.

The threatening e-mails and situation eventually became such that both of my friends had to be moved out of the city.

Although I never felt directly threatened by this young man, I have a certain vicarious sense of dread. I do know him personally, and have my suspicions that he has tried on more than one occasion to look me up on the internet. Indeed, I don't think I have any need to be afraid, since his chances of getting into the U.S. are slim to nil. But while I was still in China, I had my various blogs set so that only my friends could see what I was writing. Now that I am back home (and have internet, etc.), I have changed the settings back to public, and am hoping to actually post more than once in a blue moon. We'll see how that goes with work and school. ;)


*Note: Mid-way through my Psychology (P102) class this semester, we went over various mental and personality disorders. If I were to give my very unprofessional opinion, based on the information I got from my class, I would guess that the disorder exhibited in this guy was "Borderline Personality Disorder" (a maladaptive personality pattern in which the person is moody, unstable, lacks a clear sense of identity, and often clings to others).


Now I'm in the process of trying to revamp my blog. Hopefully make it more interesting. :) This begs the question: what is the purpose of this blog? I suppose mostly it's a way for me to kind of ramble about my take on things....no, no, no, that's too obvious. Maybe I'm just trying to change the world, one blog post at a time? No, too generic. I'll think of it one of these days. And when I do, I'll post it.

No comments: