Pages

26 October 2005

Long overdue

So, the funny thing is, I can't read anything that I post on this spot, because blogspot is blocked in China. I think it's sad. That means that I could write just about anything I wanted because only people outside the country could read it. I wouldn't post anything derogatory anyway, but just think of the people who could. And it wouldn't matter because the people inside the country couldn't read anything, but those outside of the country would know what's going on and might get the wrong impression.....hmmm......

So, there are definite disadvantages to not having a computer. One of those being that I can't just e-mail my family and friends any time I want to. Or post blogs. Or look up important information, get ideas for teaching, etc. There are the down sides. On the other hand....it doesn't take up any room on my desk...??? Maybe that's not a plus.

I'm trying to remember all the exciting things that have happened to me over the past few weeks. Classes have been going well. I may have already said this, but this semester I only have 6 classes (instead of 9). The load is much easier, but I have to make up some of that time with extra office hours. That doesn't bother me too much, since most of the in-depth learning happens in that time anyway. I goofed though. I told my students the wrong room number, so yesterday hardly anyone came. I have a few students who have been going to the local 3-Self church (I'll explain that later), and they asked me to help them learn a Christmas song ("O Come All Ye Faithful"). It's been fun. It was extra special for me, since that's the first time in weeks I've gotten my hands on a piano. I'm still determined to buy a quality keyboard (i.e. Casio or the like) to have in my apartment to stave off the boredom that sometimes arises when you live alone and don't speak the language. I have realized though that most of what I learned before hasn't left me. I can still take taxis and ride buses, and I'm actually discovering more about this town than I knew before I left. There are actually several parks that I didn't know about, and I've visited a few. The only down side to walking around (especially alone), though, is that everyone stares at you and often a group of scary-looking older guys will start making cat calls at you. (it's the "yellow" hair) Good thing they haven't tested out my mean kara-tay moves. :)

Other than school, my life is not very exciting right now. Things are settling into routine. I hang out with the other foreigners in town pretty often. That's about it. I think when I get that keyboard I'm hankering for I might offer lessons to some of my students who have asked me and seem really interested, in exchange for some Chinese lessons. ;)

Well, I hope people are, in fact, still reading this blog. I can't tell if/how many, since I can't access the page itself. ;) Go figure. But I will try as often as I can get to a computer with working internet to update the blog. I still want to keep hearing from all of you guys....via e-mail. :) Talk atcha later!

><>

No comments: