Pages

03 October 2005

Nihao!

Well, here we are, back in the PRC. The flight was relatively uneventful, aside from some turbulence. I got to see the North Pole -- but couldn't see any polar bears. ;) There were some beautiful mountains in Siberia that we flew over, and it was pretty exciting to fly over the Great Wall, even though it was so small you could barely see it. I also had the best airplane meal I think I've ever had: pasta! There was a stuffed shell, a small manicotti, and cheese tortelini. That's probably more cheese than I'll have in the next nine months, so I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Upon arrival, I quickly passed through customs and retrieved my luggage (which did finally get all packed at 2:00 a.m. Sun. morning), exchanged some money, and got a taxi. I was pleased to realize that I hadn't forgotten all of the Chinese I picked up last time. :) I am staying now with a couple who I met (and stayed with) last time I was here. They are just awesome, very hospitable, and you would never feel unwelcome if you met/stayed with them. I'm only staying with them until I can get a train ticket to my city -- Tai'an. It looks like I might be able to get one tonight with a group of college students who are also heading that direction. The challenge in getting a train ticket right now is that this is the week of the National holiday (Oct. 1), which means that EVERYONE is traveling, and therefore tickets are scarce. So, hopefully it will all work out and my next post will be from my real new home. I should be staying in the same apartment I had last semester, which will make my life so much easier. :) Anyway, not much to report yet, but I'm sure more will come later.

No comments: