Pages

25 November 2005

"Follow me to freedom!"....

I'm sure those were the last words from the fish's mouth before jumping out of the tank onto the floor of the restaurant, splashing me and the lady I was eating with in the process. Naturally, the waiters all stood around and watched it flopping around on the floor for a minute before picking it up and putting it right back into the tank. D'oh!!! You just can't win around here.

That was just one of the many interesting things you would see in China, but probably wouldn't see in the States. Have you ever seen turtles on a string? The other day I was riding home on a bus, and saw a guy carrying around this string with about three turtles on it, all attached by the leg. I sure hope (for their sake) they were already dead.

What about electricians? Ever seen someone working on power lines in the States? They're awfully careful in their cherry pickers, right? Imagine, if you will, tying a rope around your waist and the pole, and wearing these weird boots that have these long hooks on the end of them. The hooks fit nicely around the pole, and you use them to climb up to where you can reach the wires or the generator or something. I really should just carry my camera around with me everywhere. There are some things you just need to see to believe.

No comments: