Pages

18 November 2005

Musings 2

Everyone should have the chance to try real Chinese food. That stuff we have in America just doesn't quite compare. :) I'm afraid I've been spoiled for the real thing. Everyone should taste the delights of vegetables in China ?I never knew how much I liked eggplant until I came here. Everyone should try some Chinese "Papa John's"-- a kind of thin, salty bread made with eggs & onions. So delicious! Everyone should see buildings being torn down - or built - by human hands sans machinery. Everyone should watch Chinese workers tearing up the roads. Everyone should meet the Good People of China and learn to love them, should learn to appreciate the sheer variety of faces. In America it's easy to think all Asians look the same. In China it's impossible to think that. You have to learn to see the differences between them, but once you do there's no mistaking them. Everyone should experience the rare beauty of a clear, cloudless, crystal-blue sky as a backdrop for the mountain. Everyone should try to control a bunch of college kids who act like 10-yr-olds on too much candy. Sometimes I wonder why I'm here. I'm not really cut out to be a teacher, you know. Sometimes I forget that I'm in China, it feels so natural to be here. Sometimes I forget what we think a stereotypical Chinese person looks like. I know that sounds weird, but once you start seeing the differences between them, you don't remember what you used to think.

No comments: