Pages

09 April 2007

Aotearoa 11 - Passenger

Jan. 29, 2007: Drive to Motueka/Abel Tasman - Pancake Rocks

"I am the Passenger and I ride, and I ride" - Iggy Pop

Today was mostly driving from Franz Josef to Motueka/Abel Tasman, on the north part of the South Island. I never got to drive because I forgot that my license had expired while I was in China. ;) But it was nice to just be in the car and be able to let my mind wander. I thought about all the places I wanted to take my family and friends if I had enough money to bring them here. We passed tons of gorgeous rivers again. It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful and pristine the land is here.

We got to see the sea a lot again, which was awesome. It was raining almost all day, and I thought it was incredible how different the sea looks during a storm. Instead of a gorgeous turquoise blue, it was a gorgeous grey.



"Break, break, break
On thy cold grey stones, O Sea!
And I would that my tongue could utter
The thoughts that arise in me."
- Tennyson

On the way we stopped at a place called "Pancake Rocks" where over time the rocks have made an interesting formation, like they've been stacked on top of each other. It was pretty cool, although the rain kept us from staying too long.



We passed through the city of Greymouth, which was a huge change from all the small towns we'd been in up till then. It was just a bigger city, that was all, but it was enough to stir some feeling of culture shock within me.

At one point we were driving parallel with some railroad tracks, which wasn't that interesting until we went over a bridge. The railroad tracks went over the same one-lane narrow bridge. Hmmm.... there just aren't that many roads here (which I like), so you have to share sometimes. It was interesting.

Eventually we got to a town called Motueka. I really liked it! The people there were so friendly, and it was easy to get around! I guess there isn't much to do there, because Steph & I got some cat calls at one point while we were looking around. Nothing new though, having come from China. :) Just some immature guys. It made us laugh though!

No comments: