Pages

05 March 2007

Aotearoa 1 - Getting There

Jan. 19, 2007: Tai'an to Nanchang

I went by train to Nanchang (capital of child adoption in China) to meet my friend who I was going with to New Zealand. No problems on the journey, just a long, smelly, crowded train ride. I got there at 2:00 a.m. and was going to get a taxi on my own to my friend's house (where I had never been before), which worried me only slightly. Outside of the train station, the taxi drivers were vultures, as usual, and my moment of triumph was when I yelled at one of them (in Chinese) that I didn't speak English. :) Take that Mr. Crazy Taxi Driver!! Anyway, I just found the one that wasn't trying to yell at me to get in his taxi, and told him where to go. After I got in the taxi, another driver opened my door and was asking me where I was going. I just shut the door in his face. YOU try being cheerful at 2 in the morning surrounded by a bunch of piranhas. :) Got there just fine without a hitch!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RONNIE!!! :)

No comments: