Pages

05 March 2007

Aotearoa 3 - Anticipation (HK)

Jan. 21, 2007: Hong Kong

Steph's family had a birthday celebration for her grandmother, since a good portion of the family (usually spread over the globe) was there. For breakfast we ate traditional HK "dim sum" - they bring a lot of small dishes, mostly steamed, some made from rice paste (?) that everyone shares. It's yummier than I can describe. :)

We went to a grocery store after breakfast, and it was so exciting to see all kinds of foods that are available at home, but not where I am (like waffles).

Hong Kong is much more crowded than my city, but people still seem to watch out for each other, and it's still much cleaner. Her grandmother lives outside of the city itself, in a nice little district/community. Since it's so far out of the city, though, it has a little grocery area where you can buy just about anything you need. It's quiet and convenient, a nice place to live! :)

Stephanie's aunt cooked her grandmother's birthday dinner. I was asked by one of the aunts to talk to one of her cousins who was going to study in Australia, you know, since I'm a foreign teacher and all. I was reluctant at first because, hey, this is my vacation and I don't want to be a teacher right now! but we did get to chatting after dinner, and it was pleasant.

Cantonese (the language) is definitely different from Mandarin. It has a beautiful sound to it, actually, having 9 tones and all. :) Sounds a bit like singing....I could only recognize a VERY few words....but I could read some characters! :)

No comments: